Questions you are asking us...English-Speaking Countries

Questions you are asking us...English-Speaking Countries

At Migration Expert, we often get certain questions frequently. So in this series, we decided to answer a few of them at one time.

Question: Which countries are considered English-speaking countries by the UK Home Office for the purposes of the English language requirement?

This question often comes up because candidates applying for a visa to the United Kingdom have to satisfy a "Knowledge of English" requirement. Meaning: they have to prove sound use of the English language by taking - and passing - a test from an approved test centre. However, nationals of certain countries are exempt from this condition. If your country is listed below, you do not have to prove your knowledge of the English language nor pass an English test.

For the purposes of the English Language requirement, the UK Home Office considers the following countries as English-speaking countries:
  • Antigua and Barbuda,
  • Guyana,
  • Australia
  • Jamaica,
  • The Bahamas,
  • New Zealand,
  • Barbados,
  • St Kitts and Nevis,
  • Belize,
  • St Lucia,
  • Canada,
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines,
  • Dominica,
  • Trinidad and Tobago Grenada,
  • The United States of America and
  • The Republic of Ireland.
Will you be exempted from the English-language requirement? Will this requirement apply to your selected visa? How to best navigate this and other requirements for your specific situation?

Schedule a personal consultation with one of our in-house expert regulated UK migration consultants for more information about the English Language requirements and all other matters relating to UK Visas & Immigration and get the right advice you for you to save your time and money. 

About Migration Expert:
Migration Expert is the visa & immigration consulting company of choice in Australia, Canada, the UK and the US. Their registered consultants provide expert legal counsel for all aspects of immigration law and visas, including family-sponsored immigration, employment-sponsored immigration, investment immigration, temporary visas for work and college, permanent residence, citizenship, consular visa processing, waivers, and appeals. 
Interested in living, working, studying or traveling to Australia, Canada, the UK or the US? Contact Migration Expert, a widely recognized immigration consulting company. Visit our website at or phone for a consultation with a Registered UK Migration Consultant at more updates on UK Immigration by following us here. For more visa-related questions, speak to one of our OISC-registered UK migration consultants. 


0 Comment

Leave a Comment.