Questions you are asking us: How to Qualify for a Tier 2 Skilled Worker UK Visa?

Questions you are asking us: How to Qualify for a Tier 2 Skilled Worker UK Visa?

Do I  Qualify for a Tier 2 Skilled Worker UK Visa?
The Tier 2 Visa allows foreign skilled workers from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to enter and stay in the United Kingdom for a specific period of time to fill a critical industry job post. As of today, over 28,000 UK business owners are licensed Tier 2 Visa sponsors.
Available jobs in the Tier 2 category are typically offered first to employees and workers within the EEA zone unless the job is in the Tier 2 Shortage Occupations List, (which contains all the positions that the local labour market is struggling to fill immediately.)

 Tier 2 Visa categories
  • General Visa – This category is for foreign workers with a skilled job offer from a licensed Tier 2 sponsor UK employer. For a business to sponsor an international talent under this particular visa, employers have show that they were unable to fill the role with a UK or EEA national first. 
  • Intra-company transfer visa – This visa is exclusively offered to foreign employees of a multinational company that has a presence or a branch in the UK. It is available in four sub-categories. The first is for long-term staff for positions that can’t be filled by the UK branch and are valid for over 12 months. The second is short-term staff, also for roles that can’t be filled by the UK branch and are valid for 12 months. The last two are graduate trainees (for recent graduates in specialist roles) and skills transfer (for trainers).
  •   Minister of Religion visa – This visa is for workers who have been offered a ministerial post at a religious organisation or community in the UK. 
  • Sportsperson visa - This visa is for elite sportspeople who have been offered a coaching/trainer position at any established sporting organisation or team in the UK. It can also be awarded to people whose skills can significantly contribute to the country’s sporting segment by introducing a sport that is not commonly played in the UK; or if the governing body of the applicant’s sport is endorsing his/her application.

 Required Documents
  • Valid passport
  • Separate passport photograph
  • Documents proving the applicant’s capability to meet the minimum fund requirement for the visa (bank statement, written statement from a lawyer). This rule is waived for applicants under the auspices of an “A-Rated Sponsor,” since it guarantees the applicant’s sponsorship through the UK Home Office.
  • Proof that the applicant meets the minimum Tier 2 language requirements or any document that is a qualified equivalent to a bachelor’s degree (or higher) that is taught in English.
  • A document proving that the applicant is clear of tuberculosis (TB) (for those from one of the countries on the Home Office's TB testing list)
  • The UK government will ask for additional document/s depending on the applicant’s circumstances
  • Tier 2 applicants must score at least 70 points on the Tier 2 points test. Click here for full details about each of the visas listed above.
 The application must be made at least 3 months before the applicant plans to start working in the UK.  Visa processing times vary depending on the applicant’s country of origin, the job the applicant is applying for, and other circumstances. Generally, most applications are processed within 60 days. 
To find out which work visa you are eligible for, complete a free online visa assessment. For more questions on the Tier 2 Visa route
speak with a registered UK Migration Consultant for a Professional Consultation.  


About Migration Expert:
Migration Expert is the visa & immigration consulting company of choice in Australia, Canada, the UK and the US. Their registered consultants provide expert legal counsel for all aspects of immigration law and visas, including family-sponsored immigration, employment-sponsored immigration, investment immigration, temporary visas for work and college, permanent residence, citizenship, consular visa processing, waivers, and appeals. 
Interested in living, working, studying or travelling to Australia, Canada, the UK or the US? Visit our website at for more informationGet more updates on UK Immigration by following us here. For more visa-related questions, speak to one of our OISC-registered UK migration consultants. 

0 Comment

Leave a Comment.